Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sunday Church

Last Sunday we didn't go to church, so this week we decided to visit Singapore's largest mega-church, called City Harvest Church. [On the web at http://www.chc.org.sg/eng/index.php]

They offer 4 English services on a weekend. I read that they have 700 cell group leaders. We went Sunday at 10:00 for a two and a half hour service. The service was in an Exposition Hall that seated thousands, I don't know how many were there, but a lot. Everyone was very friendly, but we must have stuck out for sure. I had a hard time seeing anyone that looked like they were over 30. It was cool to think that Singapore has a whole young generation of lively Christians. I liked the music, but didn't know any of the choruses. The special speaker was a lady from Florida, Robin Harfouche, who is a charismatic type. Her life story involves being healed from being paralyzed 25 years ago. I think I would have preferred hearing a Singaporean preacher.

Not a good picture, but you can get an idea of how big it was.

After, we took the subway to a Muslim area of the city to have lunch and visit a famous mosque. I know that's bit weird, Christian church and a mosque all in the same day. As we were wandering aimlessly and trying to find an AIR CONDITIONED place to eat, 3 friendly and helpful ladies said "Follow us, we are going that way". I have been amazed at how nice people have been here to us 2 strangers, patient when we don't understand and willing to explain how things work. It makes me feel positive about the human race.


After we ate, we walked down the pedestrian only street towards the impressive Sultan Mosque. Visitors can only go in the first part, and you have to take off your shoes outside. Let me just say that I don't feel all that comfortable leaving my new sandals outside on the sidewalk. Will they be there when I get back? But they were.


By this time it was after 4:00, threatening to rain, and we were hot and tired. Just before we left, I bought a tablecloth from this lady right in front of the mosque. I really love all of the fabrics here (more about that later).

5 comments:

  1. What an interfaith day!

    Make sure you get lots of those fabrics, Mom! I know you love fabric and you can use them for wall-hangings or cushions or whatever. We use some fabric pieces from your Kenya trip as tablecloths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should buy yourself a sari or caftan Gloria. The fabrics are probably gorgeous.

    This makes 21 postings.......your time will be getting short. What are you going to cram in to see yet, I wonder.

    Is Pepsi readily available or did Jim have to kick the habit for awhile?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, our time here is coming to an end.
    I was tempted to buy a sari, but didn't. Where would I wear it? And would I feel foolish?
    This is very much Coke country, but occasionally you can find Pepsi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I don't know Gloria, you'd probably get a lot of use from the sari with all the places Jim is taking you to. :>

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it like this the first time: "Her life story involves being healed from being paralyzed 25 years ago. I think I would have preferred HEALING a Singaporean preacher."

    HEADLINE: Canadian Mom Heals Preacher Overseas

    ReplyDelete