Monday, May 17, 2010

Little India

On Saturday when Jim was in class all day, I decided to visit Little India. First time on the subway-- I felt proud of myself for figuring it out. I had read about Tekka Market and it was amazing. The guide book said there would be hacked-apart-while-you-wait meat and scaled -on-demand fish, and it was all true.

Chopping up the goat meat with a cleaver

Which part of the chicken would you like to buy--the feet?


I never knew there were so many kinds of fish!

I spent several hours wandering through Little India. I think I may have overdone it in the heat. I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror at one point and my face was really red. I thought people must be staring at me. You know you're hot when you stop at stores in which you have no interest in the product just because they have air conditioning or a great fan. But I had fun, did a little shopping (an outfit for Dorothee, of course) and ate lunch at a South Indian vegetarian place. Came home hot, tired, and with a blister on my big toe. I felt like I had been to India and back all in one day.

Flower garlands for sale (real flowers). They are used in weddings, but more often to put on statues of deities as prayer offerings.

A busy vegetable stand - some even look familiar.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! These pictures look like they're from tourist brochures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh so thats what those cheesy bright plastic necklace things you see are supposed to be...
    I'll take the chicken feet please...

    ReplyDelete