Friday, May 7, 2010

Middle of the Night Musings

It's 4:00 a.m. and I am wide awake. I think I discounted the jet lag issue a little too soon. I am trying to be very, very quiet because Jim needs a good night's sleep. He will be teaching all day tomorrow (Saturday) from 9:00 to 4:00 with an hour for lunch. I am going to get him to write a blog entry in the next day or two about his class.

So I will be on my own to be a tourist for the day. I'm dying to go to Little India but was advised that it's really busy on the weekends, so I'll save that for next week. Maybe I will walk around and explore the colonial core which is the original area where the British landed and set up shop in the early 1800s. I will take my little camera and try to get some good pictures. I think Jim knows how to add photos to the blog.

Jim has come home from class now with 2 dinner invitations for us, one tomorrow night and one next Tuesday. I have mixed feelings about it--I do want to meet local people and I'm sure they will be very interesting to talk to. On the other hand, I am usually anxious about meeting new people. I'm basically just a shy girl at heart! I brought one dress and one skirt with me, so I should be able to pull together something decent to wear.

I guess I will see the sun come up this morning. The hours of daylight are pretty well the same all year round because Singapore is only about 85 miles from the equator. The sun comes up around 7:00 and goes down around 7:00 at night, so a constant 12 hours of sun all year round.
There's no four seasons here, and no daylight savings time. The temperature doesn't change that much throughout the year either. No wonder everything is so lush and green.

3 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to know what a Singapore crowd is like. It all sounds interesting.


    I can't believe you feel uncomfortable about meeting new people! You should do what I do when we meet new people. Just let Jim do all the talking and look interested until there is something that you can get in on. I always think people will think I am smart if I don't say much (I read that in a magazine one time.) The women will be interested in you and have an instant like for you, just like I did! Do tell us what they give you for supper!

    Looking forward to the pics and Jim's comments about the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and did I mention I like the blog titles ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. See Mom - I'm not your only reader! Cheryl, Charis and Julien have commented too. Plus you probably have lots of lurkers. Actually, there is a way for you to see how many people are checking your blog, through a stats page. Julien used to analyze it when he was blogging.

    You should welcome the chance to dine with the natives, shy gal! I'm curious to hear about their houses and the food they serve.

    Have fun being a solo tourist tomorrow/today!

    ReplyDelete