Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Overnight on Swiss Air

Eight hours in the air --not as bad as it sounds when you are in First Class.
I must clarify that these first class seats cost thousands of dollars, but we got them with air miles.
So we got the fabulous perks I will describe and felt a bit like impostors, looking around at the other 6 people in first class and wondering how they got there. I was wishing that I had worn something better than a plain black Tshirt and my favourite jeans. Jim made friends with the guy on the other side of him, who was a Swiss diplomat.
As soon as you walk in, you see that each person gets a large amount of space, including an ottoman for your feet and a seat that will fold out flat into a bed for the night. Wow! We were served a dinner on a white tablecloth with so many courses that I lost track. It ended with a rich Swiss chocolate.
Then they gave us pyjamas and slippers for the night. My first thought was "Cool!". My second thought was "What are the chances of those things fitting me?" Jim put his on and went to sleep. I finished watching my movie, snuck into the bathroom and put mine on too. It struck me that it was a bit weird for all of us to be wearing the same black pj's, kind of like prison garb.
In the morning before we landed breakfast was served, but we were still full from the dinner so we just had juice.
So that was the highlight from Day One. Tune in for the next installment soon. I love the idea that I can share this great trip with all of you as it unfolds.

5 comments:

  1. Wooohooo, I'm the first commenter! Do I win a special Singaporean prize??
    I like the analogy between first class and prison - very interesting literary technique! :)
    This blog is a great idea! Are you going to insert photos too?
    Happy travels Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Andrea, I think you will win a special prize!
    I will look for it in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Andrea would be the first one to post a comment! I suggest she wins a book of Dionne Brand or Margaret Atwood translated in Maley :-)

    This blog is a great idea! I'll be checking on it everyday.
    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny Julien!

    On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be rewarded for commenting on blogs when I'm supposed to be working...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific idea to blog. I will be following along.

    ReplyDelete